Friday, September 5, 2008

When the going gets tough, The tough gets going

I started my career as the software professional with Satyam computers limited. As a fresher I had big dreams of making my mark in the company. I was ready to burn midnight oil lamps to impress my bosses. I had heard horror stories about the tough life of the software professionals but that didn’t shake my spirits. Little had I known that my happiness was very short lived. I was put under the supervision of the toughest boss on the floor. Though I tried to deliver my best, he never seemed to like my work. He would always ask me to re-do my work, sometimes all of it. He found errors in every job log that I wrote. He found my methodology of organizing my data obsolete and senseless. I felt restless and anxious around him. I would feel worn out at 9 A.M. in the morning. It was then that I decided to change my company. So after 2 years of hell I finally thought I would get a respite when I got an offer from another software company. But it was when I started working in the new team did I realize what my previous boss had done for me. In my new job, everyone thought I was a very meticulous person who delivered her project right on time and with minimal errors. My boss and the entire team was very happy and impressed with my performance. I had been grilled so much by my previous boss that subconsciously I was still trying to be extra careful in delivering my work. As a result I ended up committing very minimal mistakes. Till date I thank my first supervisor because he turned out to be the best teacher in disguise of a very stubborn and tough person. Based on my experiences I can list out some tips which might help you to deal with tough instructors.

1. Be rational: Don’t categorize your instructor as a toughie if he is stricter than you expected. Try and analyze if your reasons are valid. Think objectively to avoid falling into the trap of disliking your instructor for the wrong reasons.

2. Be respectful: No matter how much you dislike your boss, never forget your mannerism and code of conduct. Remember he still is your mentor, someone with more experience and knowledge and it’s your moral obligation to show respect to him. Never get into loggerhead with your instructor or bad-mouth him.

3. Be positive: Always remember that no matter how difficult your instructor is, he is not a permanent figure in your life. He is just a temporary discomfort which would become history once you move ahead in life. Try not to give him a reason to remember you with ill feelings.

4. Be prepared: Always keep yourself updated and ready for whatever questions he might have for you. Be ready by preparing your work well in advance. This would help you to gain respect from your boss.

5. Make judicious use of the extra time: Whatever extra time you get, try and make the best use of it by getting your doubts cleared by your boss. Going the extra mile will communicate to your instructor that you take your work seriously and will leave a lasting good impression on him.

No comments: